Tuesday 26 January 2016

"I don't know where I'm going from here...": A day trip to Umeå



"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring."

Another quote which describes my current life situation quite well, this time by David Bowie.

At least I know where we ended up last Sunday, namely at the harbour of Umeå / Sweden. We drove more or less spontaneously to the harbour of Vaasa / Finland in the early morning and hopped on Wasaline's cruiseferry "Wasa Express" which operates between Wasaline's headquarters in Vaasa and Umeå.

It takes around four hours to get from one port to another, so compared to cruiseferries like the ones from Viking Line and Silja Line, the cruiseferry of Wasaline is a rather small vessel. A small vessel with hardly any action and programme on board and a vessel which is apparently used rather for transportation purposes than for partying, yet it's lovely to be on that boat and to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate while working at one's laptop.

Since we went on a regular cruise on a Sunday, we only had time for one and a half hours to stroll around the harbour of Umeå - which is, technically speaking, located in a small town called Holmsund, around 20 kilometres south of Umeå.

At the harbour, there was basically nothing to see than the harbour itself, three wind turbines and a great big nothing covered in snow - which was somehow very lovely. I surely wouldn't mind to travel again with Wasaline and to discover more of Holmsund and Umeå in the future... 


No comments: